Aid to Victims of Violence
Aid to Victims of Violence provides comprehensive services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, and other crimes. We are here to help!
Hours: Monday – Friday 8 am – 5 pm, Saturday by appointment only
The purpose of Aid to Victims of Violence is to empower victims of abuse to live their own lives free of abuse and oppression by helping them to explore options on their own, through this intervention.
The presence of a trained crisis worker for a client at hospitals, law enforcement agencies, District Attorney’s offices, and courts, etc.
- Empower every client to make their own personal decisions.
- Provide non-judgmental, sensitive support and information.
- Explain to the client what the medical and legal proceedings will consist of and why procedures, tests, or exams are being requested.
- Discuss the client’s rights and options regarding medical and legal procedures.
- Help the client to become more comfortable in interacting with medical, law enforcement, or court personnel.
- Assist the client with accessing information regarding their case within the medical or legal proceedings.
Assistance to victims either on the phone or in-person providing support in the midst of a crisis.
Advocates provide referrals to victims for orders of protection, custody petitions, etc. Referrals may include the family court clerk, private attorneys, legal aid services, public defender’s office, police department, etc.
24-hour confidential hotline to provide support and options.
On-going supportive lay counseling provided by advocates as a victim moves through the healing process.
Aid to Victims of Violence provides many options depending on the needs of the survivors (please call for more information.
- Darkness to Light (how to keep children safe from sexual assault)
- Power of Change (recognizing domestic violence and its effects on the family)
Emergency safe housing for victims of domestic violence and their children, providing all basic needs including food, clothing, and shelter.
Crime Victims Compensation Assistance:
New York State Office of Victim Services offers compensation to help crime victims recover some of the financial losses resulting from a crime. Benefits may include:
- Medical expenses not covered by insurance
- Loss of earnings
- Counseling expenses
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Cost of repair/replacement of essential personal property that was damaged/destroyed because of a crime
Our advocates are here to help victims of any crime with compensation application
Prevention education is key to ending the cycle of abuse. Aid to Victims of Violence provides programs, workshops, conferences, and presentations on a wide variety of topics. Presentations are available for all age groups and can be tailored to meet the needs of the audience.
For more information, contact:
AVV Wish List:
- Diapers & Baby Wipes
- Baby Bottles & Sippy Cups
- Hand Soap
- Body Wash
- Bars of Soap (full size)
- Shampoo & Conditioner (full size bottles)
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- Nail Care Kits (trimmers & tweezers)
- Small Gift Cards (Walmart, Tops, Aldi’s, P & C Fresh)
- Phone Cards
- New Duffle Bags & Backpacks
- Towels (bath & hand)
- New Socks & Underwear (in varied sizes)
- Flashlight Batteries
- Microwavable Foods
- Can Openers
- Laundry Soap